Location: Dem-Con – Shakopee, MN
Dem-Con Companies is a third-generation family-owned company that has been servicing the Twin Cities and greater MN since 1965. Dem-Con Companies is a diversified, full-service recycling, processing, and disposal company. Our Mission is to provide solutions across all our businesses that are economically viable, sustainable and technically sound by prioritizing people, acting with honesty and integrity and having an unwavering commitment to our customers.
What you will do:
The Safety Manager provides support to multiple business segments included but not limited to Dem-Con Companies, Action Overhead Door, and Great Garage Door to assist in the development and implementation of safety objectives, policies, procedures, training and loss prevention programs. The Safety Manager will also assist operational leadership in the implementation of policies, procedures, and training to ensure a safe and healthy work environment for all employees.
The Safety Manager works directly with the divisions and must be able to lead behavioral and organizational change by influencing and working closely with operational leadership to implement change management. The Safety Manager is responsible to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and company policy.
- Provides technical expertise and consultation to leadership to create, promote and implement safety-related training programs that drive sustainable, proactive safety behaviors
- Ensures that loss prevention programs are in place to maintain compliance with applicable federal, state and local safety regulations that govern the solid waste and general industries. Assesses Divisions loss control program activities efforts to communicate, train and develop critical skills
- Monitors Divisions implementation of safety and loss prevention programs, takes action to redirect activity where performance falls short of targets
- Implements and ensures continued compliance with OSHA safety regulations, Federal and State Department of Transportation regulations throughout Divisions; ensures recordkeeping requirements are met
- Provides technical expertise and acts as a resource in the preparation of training materials. Supports monthly employee safety meetings by ensuring that leadership promotes and consistently relays the organization’s values and beliefs regarding a safe working environment
- Completes/reviews audits and facility inspections to review safe work practices, ensure compliance, identify corrective actions, and assist implementing improvement strategies
- Plans, implements, and manages compliance of comprehensive safety programs
- Participation in investigation of serious accidents to discover root causes. Monitors supervisor investigations of all minor accidents and injuries
- Develops strategies to reduce or eliminate exposure from all accidents and near misses
To qualify for this role you will have:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Five years experience as a safety professional
- Bachelor’s degree in safety, health, engineering or related discipline preferred
- Current certifications in first aid, CPR, OSHA 40-hour OSHA Hazwoper course, 30-hour OSHA certification and/or other safety accredited certifications
- Knowledge and experience in OSHA compliance, safety, DOT & FMCSA required
- Certified Smith System Defensive Driving Instructor or similar preferred
- Valid driver’s license
Working at Dem-Con means being a member of our team where doing the right thing, continuously improving, and having a commitment to our people and customers are our guiding principles and reasons for our success. We offer a best-in-class benefits package and a supportive and knowledgeable team for maximum success.
- Paid premiums for health insurance for employees and their dependents
- Vision insurance
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Paid time off
- Basic life and AD&D insurance
- Dental insurance
- Short and long term disability insurance